23 September 2012

Book Review-"A World Without Ice"

"A World Without Ice" by Henry Pollack PhD. http://www.worldwithoutice.com/ Bad: He says cow farts release CO2 into the atmosphere. This is a myth. It is actually cow burps. Any other mistakes I can't pinpoint. Too sciencey. But he didn't say anything I haven't heard before, rather he explains things and how everything works; so I think the rest is good. Good: He covers pretty much everything you need to know about icemelt and the impact of global warming on the environment. Some of it is dry, but mostly pretty good reading. It's targeted at people who don't know the science, summarizing various studies made worldwide, arguments against global warming, why they're bull, and where we stand now. It's pretty bleak. But something we can't ignore. I think it could have benefitted from more maps. He mentions passages ships take and it would have been nice to see them marked. Overall I enjoyed it, learned a lot. Couldn't do it in one sitting though, after a few chapters it felt too textbookish. I liked how he covered everything from history to geography to biology to politics. I do recommend this book to anyone who isn't knowledgable in environmental sciences and wants to know more about how the planet is changing.

No comments: