17 January 2012

Hugo, or I Don't Like 3D Films

Today I did not work. Isn't that lovely?

My bf came to see Hugo with me in the theatres, which made me very happy. I enjoyed it, but it is yet another movie that didn't have to be in 3D. I do not like 3D movies because they are pointless and make me dizzy when the camera pans. It was, however, the first 3D movie i have seen since my laser eye surgery. I have very little foresight, so before this, all the 3D movies involved me wearing the 3D glasses over my own pair of glasses, as I never thought to put in contact lenses before hand. In that respect, this viewing was much more comfortable; but still silly. I really hope this 3D thing is just a fad. I like 2D. People should not jump out of the screen because people do not jump out of real life. Plus, part of the point of motion pictures is to appreciate to artistry of the shot, which you are distracted from when a person is walking toward you out of the screen. Also, they only come out of the movie screen like they are shot in the movie, which is often only a head and torso shot. What, I ask, is the point of a head and torso floating out of the screen? Until they can holographically insert legs and have the actor walking ON HIS/HER LEGS through out of the movie and right past you through the theatre, let me enjoy my 2D!

Otherwise, the movie was fun, with a bit of history thrown in, some doggies, ben kingsley, sacha baron cohen, and clocks and trains. Some parts were a little slow, but I liked it overall.

No comments: