20 March 2014

Pat on My Back

SO today in martial arts class my Instructor said to pull out the mats. I'm like aw geez, this guy never does tumbling that's why I like his classes lol so I pulled out the mats as the coloured belts are doing their cool moves with the bow staff. Of course it was tumble time for Jackie. So he gets a black belt to come and help me. She says I have everything down for my Roll Routine 1, let's work on cleaning it up a bit. I said that's great let's do it. We start with my front right side roll. She challenges me to start it from standing straight up and walking right into it, nice and smooth instead of bending into it from the start. Okay, check. Next, break falls. Work on my hand positions a bit. Great I'll try and improve; it went on like this. I've got down what's expected of a white belt, time to spruce it up so it's cleaner and more controlled. I think dancing gives me a leg up on this one, it's easier to remember sequences and you know what to look for when someone shows you a move so you can try to imitate it better. SO anyway, instructor comes over to see what's going on after getting the other people going on their things and check out my break falls too. Then the whole class has to rolls (haha!) so they go and do theirs and then I do mine, and as I start it, the instructor says "that is a really good right side roll. Like, really good. I'm actually kind of upset that a white belt can do it that well!" in a joking way. Later he asked if I'm in gymnastics, or was. I said no as it's been 15 years and I can't even do a cartwheel. He's like so you're just naturally good at it? and I'm like well...I drill these most classes so maybe that's it. BUt still feels nice to be told you rock at something. Win!

I like this instructor, his classes are good. He pushes you like he knows how hard you can go. Some people push you too hard, and some not enough. But he seems to know everyones limits. He also explains things really well and shows me everything. Like I was trying a hook kick today and most instructors keep showing you how to do it, but he has me punch him and he hook kicks my arm away. So now I know how I can use it to defend myself, and how to do it properly. Sometimes I've learned a move without being sure how to apply it in a real situation but he always explains that which is helpful. Last week he was smelly tho, a skunk somehow got into his house and sprayed everywhere. hheehehehehehehehe. You always LOL when it's not your house.

School is going well, doing well in it, have to decide really soon if I'm taking summer school or not though, like in the next few days. I probably should, but it would be nice to have time to bum around. Thing is I'm more productive in the summer than the winter so school might be easier. It's easier to motivate myself when it's sunny to get things done.

I'll post more of my story soon too!

That's all folks!

No comments: